Thursday, March 22, 2007

Holy Smoke!

About 2-3 weeks ago when one night I switched on the light in the living room, it went non-stop 'Pop pop pop pop pop'.... off it, then on it again, 'Pop pop pop' again. So takut that night we didn't switch it on.

Wilkin thought some insect might have gone into the ceiling light and 'cleaned' it the next day. And everything was fine.

Fast forward to two nights ago, he switched it on and it went ' plarrp plarp plarrpp...' together with sparks and fireworks, and as with any fireworks, after a spectacular display, it died down. And as well as other light switches too. So romantic lor that night. Lucky main switch and power points still ok. Can watch CSI while ironing and he can use the pc. Otherwise damn long night.

I called up an electrician and he came to take a look yesterday and only said 4 words. "Get a new fitting." And I did. Today he came to fix our problem. And this is what it looked like on my ceiling after the old light was taken out. And the second pic is, WAS the light fitting.



Then you say we damn lucky or not? Joe, the electrician, asked me if we got any cert. for this. I told him no as it was fitted by the same builder who renovated our place before we moved in. So if touch wood house got burnt down arr... no insurance claim man...

He recommended changing the mainboard to circuit breakers. Hey! I am all for it. After all, $500 to buy peace of mind plus the old one is well used over thirty years, I'll change it in a tick, especially when I have a young child around. B-U-T, not for me to decide leh. Taukeh tadak mau tukar, I diam lor...

So now our new ceiling light from Bunnings looks somewhat the same, only this one is round. The old one was of funny shape. Now I 'feng-shui' a bit lar... things have to be round, in a circle, no edgy edges and sharp corners, 'mm lai see'...

Hahhahaha.... getting older getting more pat poh.

6 comments:

aceone118 said...

Alamak!! short curcuit la, lucky you discovered it earlier. Changing the mainboard circuit is very good.

My hse curcuit is very sensitive wan. Got lightning & thunder sure cut off wan. That the boring part got to switch it on again.

sweetpea said...

house very big izzit? then more exercise for you :)

janicepa said...

wah say.. got to be extra careful lor..

sweetpea said...

yeah i know. imagine if we didn't switch the light off quick enough, or the fuse didn't trip fast enough, or the sparks went into the ceiling insulation, really can cause fire. phewww..

Bernard said...

Sheesh! That looks dangerous!

sweetpea said...

you bet! i wasn't concerned until i the fitting was off and i saw this. imagine if the sparks went into the insulation layer, i may not be blogging right now :(