Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Little Doraemon Drum














This kept him entertained for hours, and more to come. So help me please, that I won't go berserk by the end of the night. Two bucks that made him so happy and me to take deep breaths.

Which makes me think again, everytime when occassions like birthdays and Christmas' pop up, cash are not spared. Sure, I want the best for my child, and I do get him a few good costly ones, but in his eyes, it's just another toy for him. Toys'R'Us and toy departments megastores are laughing all the way to the bank.

Point is, what are we parents teaching our kids? Cool to have hip toys and gadgets? Cool to compare with their little friends? Cool to be envied? Imagine the unseen pressure they have. It's hard not to live up to their friends' lifestyles.

We, or at least I, don't get lots of stuff as a kid. I remembered during Primary Two, a classmate had a 24 Faber Castell colour pencil case that had all of us others oohed and aahed over it. And she had a brain for business even back then, for every colour we loan, it will be 5 cents. Yes, desperate me paid for the pinks and purples. Then my sister got me a 36 pallette for my birthday. To say I was over the moon was an understatement.

Children today, they would have gotten the same thing by their 2nd birthday. And then there are Leap Pads, Thomas, Barbie, Bob, Dora, Bratz, expensive scooters and bikes, mini 6V cars. Mini Porsche for little Beckham?

I can't imagine what it will be like when Aidan goes to school. Until then, I will not think about it, so long he is now happy with his collection of balls and endless fun with just bubbles. Thomas? Mostly sponsored, thank you.

No comments: